day was to Dover and Canterbury! Fortunately, I'd already seen the White Cliffs of Dover when I took the ferry to Paris, because otherwise I would've never seen them! We went first to see a castle in Dover, ironically called "Dover Castle." Unlike some of th
e castles I've been to so far, this one was of my favorites because we got to climb spiral staircases and go on top of the castle! Here's me with the castle in the background, and a neat one of the sun peeking out from behind the castle! Just a quick note - God has given me some GREAT weather the last few weeks! I saw rain for the first time tonight in about three weeks! So it was beautiful outside the day we went to Dover with a crystal clear sky. It was foggy all the way
until we got to the coast where the castle was, so I got some good pictures there. Here's one of the view from the castle - the city of Dover.
Also, here's the view of the English Channel from the top of the castle. You can see it's a little foggy...

Oh and I thought this was neat - a real drawbridge! (Actually I'm not sure it really works, but I like to think it does!)
I enjoyed the next part of our trip a little more - it was a trip to Canterbury to see the Canterbury Cathedral! I had been told by a student who came to London last year, Dustin, that the cathedral was his favorite, and I would agree! As he said, it "oozes" with history and spirituality. The place was big and beautiful. Laura and I wandered around in there a good hour or more, while most of the other students took a quick look and left. It was just so beautiful! It's been strange to see so many churches that are so focused on tourism and making money that maybe they have forgotten the purpose for which they were originially created?!? But most of the churches offer traditional services, according to its denomination, that you don't have to pay for to get in. This is like when I went to Westminster Abbey for church one Sunday morning when I first got here. But anyway, here's some great pictures of the cathedral.






So I don't really understand why these pictures post in such random order, but I hope you enjoy them anyway! After our visit to the cathedral, Laura and I walked around town. We went to the Canterbury Tales museum, made for Geoffrey Chaucer, but it cost too much for me to go in, considering I don't really know anything about them! Instead we found a little used book shop and browsed for a while. It was called "Chaucer's Bookshop!" After that we found a place to have tea, then left for home with the rest of our group!
Look for another post very soon about my weekend in Covent Garden!
No comments:
Post a Comment