g trip, but SO much fun! I enjoyed every second, which is amazing to say considering I'm about to tell you about the worst part! But first there's a picture of me being bored on the four hour train ride to Rome, or "Roma" as the Italians call it!
ast there the next morning, then started off to find another hostel. Laura has a book called "Top 10 Rome" which lists off all the top ten things in Roma, like hotels, hostels, restaurants, tourist spots, and many other
things. This wonderful book gave us a list of hostels to check - there were three possibilities near the train station, so we took off and picked the best one - it was called "Fawlty Towers!" I don't know if any of you have seen the British comedy "Fawlty Towers" but I've seen it on PBS and on video at home and loved it, so it was neat. We left our stuff and took off to begin exploring Roma....in the rain. We wandered into an old church which turned out to be built in the 5th century! It had this huge pipe organ inside and I would have given anything to be able to play it. We went to a museum and saw some amazing marble sculptures, including the "Discus Thrower." Now
those of you faithful blog readers may remember that I claimed to have seen the Discus Thrower already, but I was mistaken! The real on is in Rome. And it was bigger and looked better than the other one I thought I saw! Also we laughed at the sign that accompanied some of the statues that were in their "natural form" for a polite way of putting it. According to the sign there is a reason for that. What do you think?
The next day, Thursday, we got up relatively early and took off to see the Colos
seum, in the midst of rain and more rain! It was cold, but we faithful tourists went anyway. We joined an English-speaking tour of the Colosseum and got to skip the q
ueue and hear lots of information about what went on in the Colosseum. Then the sun came out for a brief few moments and we were elated! I got a couple good pictures during that reprieve.
went to another tour of the "Palantine" which means "palace" in Italian. It was a HUGE palace built for some king and was basically in ruins, so we walked around and saw what the tour guide told us was the "performing" room, the dining room, the indoor pools, and other random rooms. After that we were left to "aimlessly wander ancient Roman ruins" on our own and it was fabulous! It was so crazy that there used to be buildings there, and magnificent buildings at that. When I left the Palantine, I noticed there was a sign for the "Mamertime Prison!" I didn't know what it was before Kaleb told
me about it. This is famed for being the
place where Peter and Paul were both imprisoned! I went inside and took some pictures and sent Kaleb a text saying where I was! I don't know if he was happy I'd found the place, or jealous that I was there! He had asked me to find it so I'm glad it was so close and easy to find!
oint so we just found a restaurant that looked good and went inside. We both got traditional Italian dishes of pasta - I got something called gnocchi that Kaleb's Italian friend suggested - it was delicious! Laura and I split a plate of veal with bacon which was also delicious! They also had the dessert that our tour guide in Florence had suggested we try - cheese with honey. It turned out to be a deep-fried pastry drenched in honey that was SO good! We were halfway through the dessert when the waiter came back with two flute glasses of some yellow liquid stuff. I said "
Thank you!" and he left, and that's when the fun started. I picked it up and sniffed it, only to discover a STRONG smell of alcohol. I immediately refused to drink it, and Laura tasted hers only to have it "burn all the way down" as she said. Then we started fighting about who would ask the waiter what it was and where it came from. We didn't think we'd ordered it, but who knows with the language differences! So he came back and I said, "What is this?" hoping it would lead to further conversation about where it came from. But no dice, he simply said, "It's lemon liquor" and smiled and left. When he came back, Laura just blurted out, "Where did this come from?" He smiled a big smile and started explaining to us the origin of the drink, how it was created in Sardinia and made its way to Rome! We laughed and she asked instead, more directly, if it was on our bill, to which he said excitedly, "No, no! It's for you from me! It's a gift, I give you!" We said thank you and he left again, and we just looked at each other wondering what in the world we were going to do with it! I certainly wasn't going to drink it and Laura didn't like it, so she said, "Well, there is a plant right there...." Yes, I know what you're thinking, "no, you didn't!" But yes I did! Laura chickened out so she watched to make sure the waiter wasn't coming and I poured all of mine into the flower! Then Laura poured half of hers into my glass so it at least looked like we'd both enjoyed our treat. We paid the bill and left quickly! Post a comment about what YOU think the flower would say happened to him!? What would you have done in the same situation?
The next day, Friday, we went to Vatican City!!! We got in the queue at 8:30am and were inside the Vatican before 9. It was rainy outside still, so it was a great museum day! They didn't make us show our passports, for as we found out later, they really only let you see the Vatican museum and nothing else. I was hoping I'd be able to just wander around the smallest country in the world, but apparently they don't let you do that! We were there for about three or four hours and got to see THE SISTENE CHAPEL!!!!!!! It was so amazing to be standing in th
ere, actually
looking up at the famous picture of Adam reaching out to touch God, painted on the ceiling by Michaelangelo. I couldn't take any pictures, but the experience was great. We afterwards found St. Peter's Basilica (after getting lost) and got to see the best and greatest cathedral in the world! The reason I say this is that we have now seen the top three cathedrals in the world and St. Peter's the top one. The second is St. Paul's here in London, and the third is the Duomo in Florence. It's so amazing to be able to say that! God's blessed me so much! Here's a picture of "La Pieta" by Michaelangelo - found in St. Peter's!After that we trekked around in the rain to see the Trevi Fountian where I threw in a coin (which supposedly assures my return to Rome some day), and then to the Spanish Steps. I
t was all so great to see so many things I've only heard about in
history books and seen in pictures! We went to the Hard Rock Cafe to try to meet up with Cam, our Australian friend, for dinner but he didn't get the email in time. We shopped in the little store while we waited and were surrounded by all the other Americans that were visiting Rome right then. I was strangely VERY uncomfortable being around so many Americans and asked Laura if she'd be upset if we didn't eat there. We left and went back to a place near our hostel for dinner - Pizzario, Pastarito! We went to bed not long after that, exhausted!
The next morning was our trip back to London, so we boarded a bus early in the morning for the airport and got there in plenty of time to check in and get on the plane. It was a fairly uneventful ride home, except for a rough landing! Never did I want to kiss the ground of England so much! We had to get a coach ride back to London too, so we finally arrived back to our flat in the afternoon and collapsed with exhaustion! It was a memorable, SIMPLY AMAZING trip! Thank you God! Leave some comments and let me know what you think!
1 comment:
As to the lemon liquor, I'd have drunk both for you and Laura and relied heavily on you to make sure I did okay the rest of the day! (Two drinks is my limit!) Poor flower....
I'm glad you two are having a blast, but I know I certainly can't wait to see you! Please stay safe and come back to us in Bluefield before I graduate!!! Haha!
~ Michelle Stubbs ~
Post a Comment